VDI and DaaS
The future of the modern workplace is cloud based with technology improving efficiency, reducing the cost of business-critical processes and delivering the end user experience that modern businesses now expect.
Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) is the practice of hosting a desktop operating system within a virtual machine (VM) running on a central server. Single desktop images can then be built and shared out to users for different purposes and accessed from multiple platforms including desktops, laptops, thin clients and mobile devices.
Desktop as a Service (DaaS) is the provisioning of these remotely hosted virtual desktops simultaneously using a remote server. The benefits of this include cost effectiveness, better security and compliance, increased mobility, flexible, fast deployment and a ready-made disaster recovery strategy with desktops up and running quickly after any disaster.
At its core, using the same image significantly helps save time and money by decreasing organisational and support costs. Given that everything is hosted in the data centre, there is no need to keep large stocks of PCs and with users working in a mobile, multiple device environment, the same image can be run on tablets and other devices which, if necessary, can be replaced in minutes instead of hours.
VDI desktops are more reliable, give businesses greater flexibility, ease of management using less resource and provide an easy way to customise images for different classes of user. Instead of running a local copy on each user’s desktop, a common image is created and stored in the datacentre and deployed centrally as required.
Major benefits of implementing VDI and DaaS include:-
- Central management – The ability to rapidly deploy and centrally manage a common, supported desktop image across the network including updates and changes.
- Less administrative overhead – IT administrators can make updates to virtual desktops from the data centre itself and as the machines reside there too, backup is also centralised.
- Increased productivity – Users enjoy increased productivity as they can access their data from anywhere and IT administrators can copy images from the server and deploy them fast.
- Better security – DaaS puts security in the data centre rather than having to manage individual devices. This means that data is no longer vulnerable on local devices and is regularly backed up in a secure hosted environment. VDI data is only accessed via the central server, so policies can be set for how users interact with that data and only made accessible using MFA protocols with everything centrally managed and remotely accessed.
- Improved accessibilty – Users can access their desktops over the internet via PC, laptop, tablet and even smartphone, giving them unprecedented freedom and flexibility.
- Reduced capital expenditure – Being subscription based, DaaS puts an end to the cycle of investment in desktop hardware, servers and licensing.
- Reduced operating costs – DaaS enables internal resource to be streamlined or redeployed and requires less space, power and cooling.
- Increased agility – DaaS is dynamic, with rapid provisioning and can scale and flex as needs dictate, ensuring businesses only pay for what they use.
- Better reliability – DaaS providers often quote 99.99% uptime levels which means that users can rely on consistent access and performance.
- Business continuity – The availability of a desktop with centralised backup makes DaaS a viable alternative to maintaining secondary ‘failover’ sites or premises and means that weather and travel disruption need not affect users who are able to work as normal from a remote or home location.
- Better budgeting – Subscription based pricing gives cost certainty and simplifies budgeting and forecasting.
However, planning your DaaS and VDI deployment is critical because it can be a complex process and is likely to require a significant investment in infrastructure. Defining which users will benefit the most and what virtualization components are needed is crucial for success which is why working with an experienced partner like Venture 1 is important. Learn from us and not from your own mistakes!
Areas of Excellence
- Microsoft Windows 7, 8.1, 10
- Microsoft Office 365
- Remote Desktop Services (RDS)
- Microsoft RemoteApp
- Microsoft Desktop Optimisation Pack (MDOP)
- Desktop Imaging and Deployment
- Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) integration